English key Points Conclusion .1
… got to …
Show appreciation or gratitude for an opportunity.
- I got to ride in a helicopter today! 我今天乘坐了直升机！
- I got to stay in a fancy hotel last night!
I gotta … = …
The same as “I have got to …”. *
- I gotta go to work! 我必须工作了！
- I gotta do some laundry! 我必须洗点衣服了！
… take for granted …
Don’t take for granted what others do for you. You should be grateful. 不要认为别人为你做什么是理所当然。
… granted my wish …
My company granted my wish and bought me a new computer.
… supposed to …
- I’m supposed to call my parents every Sunday. 我们周日都应该给我父母打电话。
- We’re supposed to finish work at 8pm.
- To pitch a tent. 搭帐篷。
- We’re going to rise to the challenge. 我们将迎接挑战。
… wrap up …
Are there any other questions before we wrap up the meetng?
- Q: What do/would you want to eat?
- Q: What do you feel like (eating)?
- Q: What sounds good to you?
- Q: What are you in the mood for?
- A: Let’s go to Burger King / Let’s go for Chinese food (cuisine); Chinese;
- Q: What are you gonna get? 你想要点什么？
- A: I’m gonna get an ice-cream.
- Q: Do you wanna get an appetizer?
- A: Yes/Sure/Nah.
- Q: Do you wanna get dessert?
- A: Yes/Sure/Nah.
- Q: Are you gonna get a drink?
- A: Yes/Nah/No. (Can not use “sure” to respond here, because it’s not an agreement)
… used to … / … would …
- I used to play scooer. (I play soccer long time ago, but not now)
- I used to be a teacher. (I was a teacher before, but not now)
- Where did you used to play?
Didn’t you used to have a car? (For confirmation purpose)
When I was a kid, I would collect stamps and put them in a box in my room. (Used for repeated actions, but can not be used for statuses)
- Introduce the concept with “used to”;
- Give details(repeated actions) with “would”(specific time period);
- End with past(memory) or present(the situation now) tense statements;
- I used to live with a really messy roommate. Every week, the guy would leave his dirty dishes in the sink and wait for me to clean them up! I eventually moved out.
- My parents used to live around here when I worked in this neighborhood. I would go to their house every week for dinner. My mom makes amazing food, and my dad is pretty good with barbecue.
- 真实条件状语从句（真实可能性很大）：If it is raining tomorrow, we will cancel the sports meeting.
- 对现在的情况进行虚拟假设：(If + 主语 + did（were），主语 + would（should、could、might）+ do) e.g. If I knew her telephone number, I would tell you.
- 对过去的情况进行虚拟假设：(If + 主语 + had done, 主语 + would（should、could、might）+ have done.) e.g. If you had listened to me, you would have avoided the mistake.
- 对未来的情况进行虚拟假设：(If + 主语 + should（were to）+ do, 主语 + would（could、should、might）+ do) e.g. If it were to rain tomorrow, I would stay at home.
- To kill 2 birds with one stone. = To achieve 2 things with 1 action.
- To keep an eye out for sth (a new restaruant). = Please watch carefully for sth.
- To add fuel to the fire.
- To poke the bear. = To make a joke on sb who was already upset.
- To wrap your head around sth. (e.g. I can’t warp my head around why made this descision.) = I can’t understand sth.
- To call it a day. (Use this when leave school, off work. e.g. I am gonna call it a day.） = To decide to finish the day.
- It’s not rocket science. = It’s not difficult.
- To burn the candle at both ends. = Working too hard, but usually with negative effects.
- To be in the dark. (e.g. I am in the dark about the topic for today’s meeting.) = To have no information.
- To play devil’s advocate. (e.g. I am gonna play devil’s advocate here.) = Argue with sb on sth, agree but need to ask questions and clarify sth.
- To draw a blank. (e.g. Sorry, I am drawing a blank on her name.) = Unable to remember sth;
- To fight fire with fire.
- To go viral. = To get very popular in a very peroid short of time.
- Hair of the dog (that bit you). = Alcohol.
- Hands down. (e.g. Hands down, this is the best dinner you have ever made.) = No doubts.
- Not my cup of tea. (e.g. that movie was not my cup of tea.) = I don’t like it.
- On the fence. (e.g. I am on the fence about which place should I move to.) = Not able to decide sth.
- To read between the lines. = Understand sth that is not said.
- To take the wind out of sb’s sail. = To cause sb to lose their confidence.
- Hit the hay. (e.g. I am gonna hit the hay.) = Go to sleep.